" "
It's a small attempt to post the recipes learnt and tested in my kitchen.
Hope u enjoy your stay.




Saturday, January 18, 2014

Small Onion Sambar


My house is also like a typical south indian house where you have idly,dosa,pesarattu,rava dosa,rava idly and upma for breakfast. When i was a kid i never used to eat idly. Poor my mom used to make dosa with idly batter only for me, rest everyone used to have idly. I always used to think idly as a patient food which i still think of. Husband likes idly and younger daughter hates idly. Some how i blackmail her and make her eat idly.

When my m-law was living with us she used to make small onion sambar with idly and i never showed interest to learn from her. The reason behind of not learning is that her sambar is very thick and i like thin and watery sambar. And husband prefers thick sambar. So when ever i make sambar once the sambar is done i take out my portion and let it boil until it becomes think.

Husband always tells me to make small onion sambar and honestly i never tried to make an attempt to browse for the recipe on the net. Once i brought small onions and sent an email to my blogger friend Sandhya ( she blogs at Maradhi Manni and Swaadhisht) to check if she has small onion sambar recipe. I was too lazy to check her food blog Swaadhisht. She was so nice that she immediately sent me the recipe which i made for Sunday breakfast to go with idly.And also i made peanut chutney and recipe of that is here. Here goes the recipe..

What is needed for sambar

Small onions 10-15 (skin peeled)
Toor dal 1/2 cup boiled
Hing a pinch
Sambar powder (i used sanjeev kapoor sambar powder) 3tbsp
Tamarind lemon size (soaked in warm water, extract puree)
Oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Methi/fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few

How to prepare it..

Take two cups of water in a pan. Pour the tamarind puree in the water and bring to boil.

In a another pan take oil.When hot add mustard seeds,methi seeds and curry leaves. When methi seeds change colour add onions. Saute for a while and add sambar masala powder.

Add this to the boiling tamarind water. Let the onions become soft. Now add the cooked dal and salt.

Adjust the seasoning and serve hot with hot idly and chutney.



2 comments:

  1. I am very happy to know that you and your family liked this recipe! Enjoy, Saritha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and flavorful sambar.. looks tempting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pls post your comments and your feed back will help me to try out new recipes and post it here in my blog