" "
It's a small attempt to post the recipes learnt and tested in my kitchen.
Hope u enjoy your stay.




Monday, August 02, 2010

Kakarakaya stuff fry/Bitter gourd stuff fry


Kakarakaya/karela/bitter gourd is my favourite veg,but i hardly make it at home as no one in my house eat it.When ever i am with my mom i make sure that she cooks kakarakaya for me.I have blogged about kakarakaya fry before and now it is stuff fry.

Ingredients:-
Kakarakaya/Kerala/Bitter gourd 7 nos
Oil 3 tbsp

For stuffing :-
Onions finely chopped
Senaga pindi/Besan/powder 2 tbsp
Garam masala powder 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste

Fry onions in the oil until light pink colour.Add coriander powder,garam masala powder,salt and red chilly powder.Saute for 2 minutes.
Lastly add besan.Fry till you get nice aroma and besan changes colour.Keep aside to cool.

Scrap the outer skin of kakarakaya/karela.Steam in a cooker for 6-7 minutes.Once cool slit the kakarakaya length wise and remove the pulp.

Fill the kakarakaya with the stuffing as seen in the picture below and tie each kakarakaya with the thread.

Take oil in a pan and shallow fry kakarakaya until golden colour.The flame should be on a medium.Saute  frequently and take care not to over fry/burn them.Once the karela are fried sprinkle the left over stuffing and again saute of a min.

Once they are fried remove the thread and serve with rice and sambar.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, never tried to cook stuffed karela. Looks and sounds great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow kakarkaya stuff looks divine...my hubby is a big fan of it ..love ur version ver much ...will try it surely

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coinicidence. I asked my mom for this recipe yesterday and was planning to make these for my husband. I don't always eat karela but this is a super tasty way to eat them. My mom doesn't steam them though or cook the stuffing beforehand. I think I am going to try your way. Looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow my very fav one and looks absolutely tempting.. I love BG in any form that too stuffed one are my fav one.. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey varunavi, first time here..loving your style of blogging and awesome collection of recipes..

    the stuffed karelas r looking very nice..liked your ingredients of the stuffing.
    have book marked your site..will b visiting often :)
    aipi (http://usmasala.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely made the spices in this is making my mouth water!!! Yummy yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowoow, i want to try this rite now..I was search ing for a recipe like this using BG. Bookmarked this varunavi.thnx dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting stuffing. Would love to try ur version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The suffed bittergourd is healthy and appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Bittergourd is my favourite, never tried this method, looks so good. You have yummy collections of recipes, will try to check your yummy recipes soon. Following you:-)
    Do visit my blog if you have free time, there are two events going on in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never tried stuffing kakarakaya before. You gave me a good steping idea. Thanks for sharing this one. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandma makes this fry.....i never tried it at hoe....love to try this version....looks yum....

    ReplyDelete
  13. heyyyy sarita jiiiii...nice to c that u still remember GM blog...thanks ya..and do stay connected...even if u dont send that pizza parcel to al wahda street heheh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey wow...Karela is my fav vegetable..Looks fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi --- let me try this today itself --i am sure my husband and my son will love this -thanks a lot for this wonderful receipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Going to try this version today. Am sure it's gonna be yummy!! Thanks for your recipe

    ReplyDelete

Pls post your comments and your feed back will help me to try out new recipes and post it here in my blog