Black eyed peas 2 cups
Green Chillies 2
Tamarind 1 small size of lemon
Coconut 1/2 grated
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Rai 1/4 tbsp
Menthi 1/4 tbsp
Zeera 1/4 tbsp
Curry leaves few
Oil 4 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Soak black eyed peas over night and pressure cook maybe just 2-4 whistle,should not be over cooked
- Dry roast half of rai,menthi and zeera.Add grated coconut and 1 onion and make a smooth paste
- Heat oil in a deep pan,add rai,curry leaves,onions and green chillies.Saute till onions are pink in colour
- Add the above paste,salt,haldi and red chilli powder and saute till the paste leaves sides of the pan.
- Remove tamarind extract and add it to the paste.
- Bring it to boil and add the boiled peas.Let it cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook till the pulusu is thick enough.
Tamarind can be adjusted as per taste.I took more because my hubby likes.Usually my mom does this with very less tamarind,but my m-law uses the quantity i mentioned as they eat much tamarind.