Fish 1 (big)
Onions 2Green chillies 3
Tamarind 1 (lemon size)
Zeera 1/2 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste 11/2 tbsp
Red chilly powder 1 tbsp
Fresh coconut grated 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Vinegar 2 tbsp
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves few
Oil 3-4 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- Dry roast rai,menthi and zeera. (I usually do if before and store it)
- Marinate fish pieces with salt,vinegar and ginger garlic paste for 1 hour.
- Make fine paste of coconut, one onion ,roasted rai,menthi and zeera.
- Heat oil add the seasoning.When they splutter add onions and green chillies.Saute till onions are pink in colour.
- Then add coconut paste,fry till the raw smell goes and oil comes out.
- Add fish pieces.Saute very gently so that the pieces doesnt break.
- Cover and cook for 3-4min.
- Add tamarind pulp,turmeric powder and red chilly powder.Add little water
- Once the fish is half done add tomatoes (big pieces).
- Don't stir much as the peices will break
- Cook till the gravy thickens.
I always prefer fresh water fish.I usually make this curry with rohu fish.But m-law will make this with any fish.This curry is best eaten the next day.When i make this curry my hubby dear keeps it for next day to eat with dosa.