I make Rava Kesari everyday thursday as offerings to Sai baba.My kids like it but they are bored of eating the same stuff.So i remembered this payasam which is my mom's favourite.
Moong dal 1 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Milk 1 1/2 cup
Ghee 1 tbsp
Saffron very little
- Soak moong dal for 2 hours.
- Boil water and add moong dal.Cook till it is almost done.Pressure cooker can be used,but the taste differs.Moong dal should be cooked on a slow flame,it doesn't take much time
- Fry cashew and raisin in the ghee.The left over can be added to the payasam
- Once the moongdal is done add milk and constantly stir so that the moonga dal is half mashed.
- Now add elachi,cashew and raisins.
- Then saffron and cook till the payasam is semi solid
Sugar can be replaced with the same amount of jaggery.But i prefer sugar than jaggery.Safforn is my addition to the payasam